Saturday 11 April 2015

Evaluation One



1) In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

Brief summary of my product:

For my media product I've done a music promo for the song 'Skinny love' by Birdy. Although Birdy's version of the song is a cover by the original band who sang it  Bon Iver an American Folk indie band. I have chosen to do this song in particular because it was once one of my favourites and I enjoy the genre of music the song comes from. I also created a digipak and a magazine advertisement for the album. 
In my products: the music promo, magazine advertisement and digipak I tried to sick to conventions as I wanted my product to be similar to real life products. I researched the conventions of each of the different products before I started in the process of making them.I decided that would be a better idea to start off my products with the conventions then adapt them to my own because that is a similar convention of the indie genre.

MUSIC MUSIC ADVERTISEMENT:
                                                                                  

A way my magazine advertisement uses conventions is through the use how I've included the artists name, album title, an image (of either the artist or something related to the album) and the date it comes out etc. These conventions helped me create my own media product as I used them as examples for my own work. 

The first image was my magazine and there's a second image I took my ideas off the second image with the use of the black background and one singular image. However my image was the central object of the product rather than the album title and artist, I did this become I wanted my product to have its own originality and which what I think I produced. 

I also used some of colour scheme from The Stone Roses 20th Anniversary advertsiement poster the (black and white) because this was a colour scheme similair to the one I used last year but without the red and I enjoy the look the colours have together.

Here is a slide share from when I decided to analyse the conventions of a magazine advertisement so I knew what to add and what not to add. On the last slide I decided is where I analyse the magazine advertisement for Adele for her album 21. Although I didn't copy/inspire any ideas from this magazine I decided to use the conventions that it showed. Which I showed in the text above. It was helpful to know what to include. Although a feature this product didn't use which my product did would be the use of the letting the audience know the release date.

MUSIC VIDEO:








My music video had the conventions of any of other music video such as my video included the use of lip syncing (which I included near to the end and mostly around the chorus of the song). My video also included a narrative which is a cliche of a music videos however, I used different ideas into my video that are like those in the indie genre.

such as:

This is a wide shot of one of my actors leaving the main character behind, I used this wide shot such as its a convention of the actress being alone. Which is a central idea of the genre. I also choice to do this shot because I wanted to link a convention to the genre.





The image above is a shot of the actress in an urbany area which is another convention of the indie genre.

This is a close up shot I decided to show of my actress which is a convection of the genre. I added the effect onto my video like a video by Ben Howard that I analysed.





In my music video I filmed in three locations to show the simplicity of the genre: a house, the beach and in a green room. I did these locations because of the isolation that it shows because she herself is alone.

Before starting the filming of my music video I also watched other music videos that are currently in the charts and looked at the videos to see what techniques I liked in these videos and decided what I would like to include in mine.




DIGIPAK:
















Linking theories:



We can relate back to Kate Domaille (2004) in that every story told can fit into one of 8 narratives types. Each of these has an original source. Achielles, Candide, Cinderella, Circe, Faust, Orpheus, Romeo and Juliet, Tristant and Iseut are all storylines Domaille suggested existed.  We could link my music video to Orpheus storyline which is: The loss of something personal, the gift that is taken away etc. That could be linked to how my video starts of and is a hidden theme in the representation of it. Such as my main characters mother takes the gift of love that she has to offer from her daughter and you could argue that it’s also a loss.

We could also relate my music video to Levi-Strauss (1958)  He has ideas about the narrative that he believed all stories operated to certain clear binary opposites e.g black vs white, rich vs poor. Which could also be argued to be true with the fact that the two characters in my video are opposites of each other. As the main character is depressed and the second character is happy and joyful and the two balance the narrative out.







No comments:

Post a Comment